Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Ugandan Adventure Begins!

Well, it is about to anyway.  
I should be in bed asleep by now but I never sleep well the night before a big trip.

Too many thoughts running through my head.  
Did I bring everything I should? 

Did I bring too much?

What have I forgotten to bring that will make my life 
difficult for the next couple of weeks?

Have I left enough instructions for the family for them to get by without 
eating pizza and burgers every night?

The list goes on and on.  

Allison and I had a great time today.  
The hubs and son are out of town on a scout trip so it was just us chicks. 
Allison doodled on my trunk with paint pens. 
We got our toenails polished.
Allison got a haircut.
We went shoe shopping.
Sushi for lunch (yum!)
We came home and watched a movie.  
Well, actually Allison watched the movie. 
 I sort of watched the movie while I sorted and re-sorted the contents of my luggage.  

I am on the cusp of having too much weight in my black trunk.  
Honestly I don't know what I would kick out if the ticket agent tells me 
it is over the weight allowance.

Hopefully I won't have to find out.  

So, this is the end result.  
I am not going to open those trunks again.  
The carry-on bag and my pack are just fine.  
But that #40 trunk is so close to 50 pounds.
So is #39 - and it is full of meds and medical supplies.  

I just have to trust that God has this handled.  
We are in store for a major blessing over the next twelve days.  
I pray that God uses us as his hands and feet and voices.
I pray that we can bring some relief to the Africans that we will serve.
I pray that our group stays healthy and safe 
as we grow closer to God and to each other. 

While I have been typing this post an old hymn that we used to sing in the church 
I grew up in came to my mind. 

"When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still, 
And with all who will trust and obey.  

Trust and obey, for there's no other way 
To be happy in Jesus, 
but to trust and obey.  

I think I will keep this song in my heart for the trip.  


1 comment:

  1. I love that song and I hope it will help you throughout your trip.

    ReplyDelete