Sunday, June 2, 2013

Wake Up Little Sushi

Bruce and I love sushi.  

For the longest time we would go to our favorite place for sushi on Sunday nights 
after dropping the kids off at church for their Sunday night youth program.  

Since Ben started driving we haven't gone quite as often because we haven't 
had to leave the house on Sunday nights.  
And let's face it - sushi is expensive! 

I have read about how to make sushi, downloaded recipes, watched youtube videos 
for years but I had never tried my hand at making my own at home.  

All that changed today. 

Bruce and I shopped for the necessary items - bamboo mat, wasabi, pickled ginger, nori sheets, srirachi sauce...

green onions, cucumber, avocado

shrimp (I had thoughts of making crunchy shrimp rolls with tempura shrimp.)
I mean look at these gorgeous royal red shrimp!

Bruce got a lesson in how to devein shrimp.

I diced some tuna and made my spicy tuna filling.

Gorgeous tuna, salmon, and spicy tuna filling - yum!  

The shrimp all skewered up and ready to go in the tempura batter.

Mise en place all ready to go.

Sushi rice was easy to make and really tasty.  
I know that a legitimate sushi chef would have found fault with it but I thought it was pretty good.
How someone can apprentice for years to get sushi rice correct is beyond me.  
It's rice, people.
I appreciate the art of sushi but my goal was to make a tasty dinner for Bruce, me and two friends.

I made a nine rolls using the tuna, salmon, and spicy tuna mixture.
I didn't make the crunchy shrimp rolls this time because suddenly I looked at the platter and realized we had enough for dinner without them.  We ate the shrimp tempura all by itself.  

Sushi attempt #1 - a tasty success!

I will be making sushi again very soon.  
It was that good.

I'm wishing there were some leftovers in the frig...


No comments:

Post a Comment