Saturday, September 1, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

I can't believe how long it has been since I got around to blogging my everyday, mundane life for your reading pleasure.  

One of the things that I have been doing since I last blogged in MAY (what!!!) is to spend a disproportionate amount time on Pinterest.  I swear that I sit down to just take a quick look to see what is new and look up and 2 hours of my life have disappeared.
  
OK, maybe that it a little bit of an exaggeration.

Not really. 

OK, maybe an hour is missing from my life.  

Anywho, I recently saw on Pinterest several posts by folks raving about these easy homemade doughnuts.  Since it is Saturday morning of a long weekend and we were having a slow start to our morning I thought I would give them a try.  

This recipe starts by popping open a can of refrigerated biscuits.

Yes, I already had them in the frig.
Don't judge. :)

I flattened them out a bit and then cut a hole in the center.

Made a couple of quick finishes for the doughnuts:
a simple vanilla sugar glaze and cinnamon sugar.

When my oil hit 350 degrees I popped those bad boys into the oil and the magic began.  

They got really puffy and browned beautifully.  

 Peaches was playing possum in the kitchen floor.  She always hangs out in the kitchen when I am cooking.  She may look asleep but I can guarantee that if the slightest morsel of food hit the floor she would have been the first to know. 


This is how the doughnuts looked when they came out of the oil.
GB&D - golden brown and delicious!

"Mom, drop something already!"

Here is the finished product.  
Half of them dipped into melted butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar and the other half dipped into the vanilla sugar glaze.  
What, you say?  You only count 8 doughnut holes?  

If I have heard Gordon Ramsey say it once, I have heard him say it a hundred times to taste the food that leaves your kitchen.  
Who am I to question a man with several Michelin stars?  
They were wonderful, pillowy, melt-in-your mouth doughnuts.  

Who knew you could do that with refrigerated biscuits?



1 comment:

  1. Looks Great Anne! Wish I had been around your kitchen this morning!
    I can't stay away from Pinterest either! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete