Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fun with a Purpose

This week I am having the privilege of being camp nurse for Maranatha Camp and Conference Center in Scottsboro.  It is the Presbyterian camp for our area.

What is extra special to me this week is that I am here with my children.

Ben is one of the junior counselors.
Junior meaning that he is too young to take a group on by himself so he gets to help
 with all of the other tasks that need to get done to make camp run smoothly.


Like lifeguarding, kitchen and dining hall cleanup, the ever elusive "other duties as assigned"...


and helping to run some of the activities, like the very popular slip-and-slide.
And this is a volunteer position.


I am telling you, this kid justs might turn out alright.
And BTW, he is getting a terrific tan - not an ability he inherited from his English/Irish mother!


Allison is a camper this week and chose to be part of a very special group.
The group goes by the acromyn SWAT, standing for "Servants With A Testimony".
These campers have chosen to participate in a mission project as their main activity during the day.
They get up, have breakfast, and load up to go to New Market to be part of
the big playground build at Sharon Johnson Park.

Their days have been spent in the heat waterproofing lumber and stacking it
for the men and women who will cut and fit it into place.
They also placed the stakes around the entire worksite and stretched the orange temporary fencing.


These campers have worked very hard this week and have a great sense of accomplishment.
I can see it in their faces when I speak to them about their work.

I am proud of my children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment