Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Ultimate Comfort Food

I have been thinking about a nice pot of bean soup since I purchased a ham before Christmas.

I first rinsed beans (pintos and great northerns this time) and boiled them for about 
30 minutes and then let them sit for a while.

I took all of the nasty bits of the ham and the bone, tossed them in a pot and covered them 
in water and let them simmer for a couple of hours.
What I was left with was a pot full of nasty bits of the ham and the bone 
swimming in the most wonderful ham broth.

Then I combined the broth and beans and simmered until everything looked right 
and my house smelled wonderful.  

Add a piece of freshly made buttermilk cornbread 
and dinner was done!

Oh, and because I love my midwestern husband, I also made his favorite
split pea soup.  
It doesn't appeal much to me but he loves it.  

This was a wonderful, warming comfort dinner for this cold night.  

2 comments:

  1. My mom use to make split pea soup- I thought it was a Southern meal. Martin made me some for New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our house it was always pintos or great northern beans. I had never even heard of split pea soup until I went up Wisconsin with Bruce. Mine was pretty tasty (I mean - homemade ham stock! It's the bomb!) but I just can't get over the pasty texture. Too baby food-esque. I much prefer the pintos/great northerns with some texture.

    ReplyDelete