Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Dad's Garden, Part 5

Dad's garden is coming right along.
All of the plants are far enough along that they are easily identifiable.


Everything is all neat and tidy.


The lettuce is ready to eat and the carrot tops are getting nice and full.

Dad plants marigolds between his tomato plants. 
When I asked him why he told me that nemitodes, which will stunt tomato growth and production are repelled by the marigolds.
He started planting them together many years ago and hasn't had a nemitode problem since.

I thought I was the only one who didn't care for the smell of marigolds.

The Grandma Parham's pole beans are finally getting big enough to climb.


The muscadines have a long way to go.


But the blueberries are showing off this season. 
The branches are so full of berries that they are sagging a bit.
Just a few more weeks and we will be enjoying those delicious blueberries.

On another note, my folks noticed a cardinal nesting in an Oakleaf Hydrangea in their backyard.

I love this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment