Monday, May 2, 2011

Haitian Play Day

Today was our day to play. 
 We spent the day at the newly formed Chadasha children's shelter. 
 It is housed in the second story of a lovely senior Haitian-American woman's home. 
 Currently there are 10 children residing here. They are all loved and happy. 
 The goal for the home is to be a sort of holding station for kids i
n the process of being adopted. 
 Hopefully it will become completely self-sufficient with the adoptive parents 
paying upkeep for their kids while the process is being worked.
For me, the coolest parts of the day were getting to deliver some of the bed bags 
that my GFWC Legacy service club made for the kids and getting to meet and deliver 
the items that my daughter purchased for the oldest girl at the home.

A few weeks ago I saw pictures of the kids in the shelter on Michelle Robert's Facebook page. 
 The oldest girl struck a chord with Allison and me. Allison decided that 
for her upcoming birthday she wanted money to purchase items for the oldest girl. 
 Together we shopped and bought 2 dresses, top/shorts outfit, undies and training bras, 
a journal, colored pens and pencils, and lipgloss.

When I got to meet Stelie (short for Estelie) I fell in love with her! 
She was a little shy at first but was very excited about the bed bag with her own name on it. 
When I got to give her the bag of goodies from Allison she was really just awestruck. 
I also told her that Allison would like to exchange notes, pictures, and photographs 
in the future if possible. With the regular trips that friends of mine (and me?) 
will make in the future getting notes passed shouldn't be too much problem.

 She gave me two very well colored pages out of her coloring book 
and signed her name and "I love you" for me to give to Allison.
 I think this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship.

My friend and fellow mission worker, Kathy, worked with Stelie on her numbers 
while we were there too.

Overall it was a very low-key, relaxing day of playing with the kids with just 
a little bit of medical check-ups added in. Another good day.

1 comment: