Wednesday, February 22, 2012

President's Day Weekend

Bruce started talking about going to Columbus, Georgia over 
the long President's Day weekend while I was in full Uganda planning mode.  
I told him to plan away because I didn't have time to think about another trip at that point.  

Well, shortly after I got back from my trip I received an email from Bruce 
with a proposed itinerary for the trip.  
(Gotta love engineers!)
It looked fine to me.
Definitely a hoo-rah weekend.

We had plans to see several military sights including
The Infantry Museum
Andersonville Civil War prison site and the Prisoner of War museum
and
The National Civil War Naval Museum.

I have a husband and two kids that like history very much.
My guys are crazy for military history. 
It is hard for it not to become a little contagious.

As it turns out we didn't have time to make it to the National Civil War Museum because 
we spent too much time at the Infantry Museum.  
It was that good.  

The facade of the infantry museum was fitting 
a museum of such an important part of our military.

You can't help but be proud and thankful for these brave men and women 
who have served our country over the years.  

This museum was fantastic!
The displays were very creative and engaging...

like this video display of a paratrooper landing projected into an open parachute.

We also found out that there were no mannequins used in this museum.  
All of displays use wax castings of active duty service men and women.
Cool, huh?

Very moving tributes everywhere you look. 

 There was another video being displayed inside this helicopter.  
The sights and sounds really make you feel part of the action.

Very brave words.

The trip to Andersonville and the POW museum was equally moving.  
Going through the POW museum I couldn't help but empathize for the families at home waiting for their family members what were being held as prisoners of war.  
I couldn't imagine being put in the position of being held as a prisoner of war. 

I came away being very humbled and proud of our military families. 

The film at the visitor's center and the driving tour around the Andersonville grounds 
illustrated very well this low point in our nation's history.  

Before this weekend I had never given Columbus, Georgia much thought.  
I knew it as the home of Ft. Benning but not much else.

After this weekend I am thinking that we need to go back and see the things that we missed 
and maybe repeat a few of the things we did!
Good trip.


1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing this. Jamie is in boot camp - we have gotten 2 letters in one week- more communication than in the last month when he was living with us! Do you think you could send us Bruce's itenerary so we could make the trip? love ya! kerry c.

    ReplyDelete