Monday, January 24, 2011

Cornice Board Project

I have been on a quest to collect wine bottle labels for about three years.  I have helped to empty a few bottles, I have asked friends to save bottles, I have even asked to take home an empty bottle from restaurants if it has a label that I haven't already collected.  I have gotten such a reputation that I have had friends who will leave boxes of bottles on my driveway.  Some people take home leftovers from parties, I take a bag of empty bottles. 

I started the quest when I got the idea to make a cornice board and cover it with the labels for my kitchen window.  Since I have a double window in the kitchen I was going to need gobs of labels to cover that much real estate. 

I really love the variety of artwork that is found on labels.  I also love the clever, snarky, or downright funny names of some wines.  If you stand and stare at my cornice long enough you are going to see the full gammit of labels here.  From a label from a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne that we received as a wedding gift and drank with our parents the night we brought our first baby home to some low brow labels from some tacky, classless friends. (You know who you are!)

 I am still collecting them (feel free to leave boxes of bottles on my driveway) and have also started collecting different tea labels and chocolate labels.  I am thinking that I might just make cornices for a couple other windows.  A girl needs a hobby, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment