Saturday, March 12, 2011

Daffodils and Violets

Day 8 of the plague and went to Mom and Dad's home for a short visit and to pick up a package. 
Mom had picked a beautiful bouquet of Mt. Hood daffodils and violets out of her yard. 
Mt. Hoods have always been a favorite of our family.  Their creamy yellow cups are just lovely.
They just screamed to be photographed but all I had was my point and shoot that I carry in my purse.

For the first picture I literally just pointed and shot.  I don't use this camera everyday so I forgot to turn off the flash.
The first bit of advice that I got from my friend Erin to improve my photography was to turn off the flash.  It makes a huge differenct in pictures.  See how this picture looks dark, the colors are washed out and there is a harsh shadow behind the objects.


See?  Much better picture.  The colors are truer, no weird shadows, and the color represents the light that was in my mom's kitchen.
But it could be better...


Subtle changes.  Erin, through her Clean Color tutorial video, taught me some tricks.  I brightened and enhanced the colors just a touch.  I also got rid of the distracting background.  
Not a perfect edit, but not bad either. 

2 comments:

  1. It is such an immediate improvement in the appearance of your pictures I am surprised that more folks don't do it.

    ReplyDelete